Chaire d’études maghrébines (Chair in Maghreb Studies)
- Chaire d’études maghrébines—the first of its kind in the Americas—is dedicated to fostering and disseminating research on international issues related to the Maghreb. It works closely with CIRAM – Centre interdisciplinaire de recherche sur l’Afrique et le Moyen-Orient (Multidisciplinary Research Centre on Africa and the Middle East)
Chairholder: Francesco Cavatorta, Department of Political Science
The chairholder, Francesco Cavatorta, performs all of his postsecondary teaching, research, publishing, and other activities in this area of specialization. He takes a keen interest in contemporary issues of strategic and geopolitical importance to the Maghreb: water, sustainable development, agri-food, international affairs, and international peace and security. Further perspective is provided by linking these to developments in the Euro-Mediterranean and North American spheres—especially Québec and Canada, with which cooperation and trade are expanding rapidly. This two-way perspective marks the originality of the Chair’s approach and is key to meeting the needs and expectations of numerous actors and an increasingly diversified clientele.
The Chair also awards scholarships to ESEI students who have produced outstanding academic work on the Maghreb (more information to come).
Symposia organized by the Chair
- Les dimensions de la sécurité en Afrique du Nord
Symposium organized with the Department of Political Science, Saturday, May 7, 2016
Program (LIEN VERS LE PDF de l’affiche)
- Mobilisation de la violence politique, querelles théologiques et enjeux géostratégiques au Grand Moyen-Orient et en Afrique de l’Ouest
Symposium organized by Centre sur la sécurité internationale (CSI), Centre interdisciplinaire de recherche sur l’Afrique et le Moyen-Orient (CIRAM) and the Canada Research Chair on Conflict and Terrorism Thursday, November 27 and Friday, November 28, 2014.
Activities the Chair supports
- The Chair was instrumental in organizing the seminar on the Maghreb prepared and presented by Fabio Merone and Francesco Cavatorta: Enjeux de sécurité en Afrique du Nord (Security issues in North Africa) (Winter 2015).
- A number of CIRAM activities on Islam benefit from the Chair’s visibility.